Friday, March 21, 2008

Fragrant Breezes


If sometimes the streets of the world are hell, I have found heaven on a mountain in Haifa, Israel. Being on the grounds of the Bahá’í world center is about as close to paradise as I am going to feel in a physical place. Bahá’í’s are expected to visit on pilgrimage at least once during their lifetime. This is my second visit and it is more beautiful than ever. Both the Bahá’í’ prophets, Bahá’u’lláh and the Báb are buried in this area, and the seat of the Bahá’í’ world governing body, called the Universal House of Justice is here. Each day I have been rejuvenated and uplifted, as if my spirit drinks from heavenly streams and my feet do not touch the ground. People from all over the world are gathered under one tent, as one family. Just looking at the diverse humanity is a feast for the eyes.
Bahá’u’lláh gave Bahá’í’s their own calendar, with March 21 marked as the beginning of each new year. This year, the full moon is in conjunction with the spring equinox. Refreshing and fragrant breezes have blown over me, and I feel revitalized to carry forth my trek into Turkey, and Istanbul.


From the writings of Bahá’u’lláh:
"The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
"Let not a man glory in that he loves his country; let him rather glory in this, that he loves his kind."
"Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch."

THE LIFE OF BAHA'U'LLAH; A PHOTOGRAPHIC NARRATIVE

2 comments:

GMK Khalsa said...

Just wanted to let you know, I enjoy your blog. I also purchased your book about your daughter which I am fascinated and astonished by your experiences and has brought tears to my eyes more than once. I was a fellow student in the Dreamweaver class you took in last year. Hope your travels continue to be wonderful and keep up with your great posts!

Steve said...

Certainly, I remember you. I am glad you enjoy the blog, and picked up my book, A Heart Traced in Sand. Naomi touches me in so many ways, not the least of which is giving me knowledge of the great circle of God that links all of His worlds.
I will keep up the posts . . . as long as I can find internet connections!
Best wishes,
Steven